Books! Books! Books!
Here are some of the recent things I have enjoyed reading (with some brief descriptions) followed by several items in our church library for you to consider.
CHRISTIAN LIFE AND MINISTRY
• Roland Bainton, Here I Stand – a classic biography on Martin Luther; something we read and discussed as pastors
• Bill Thrasher, A Journey to Victorious Praying – a helpful and practical book
• Stephen Dempster, Dominion and Dynasty – a theology of the Hebrew Bible – a detailed book that provides a wide-angle lens through which to look at the contents of the Old Testament
• R. C. Sproul, Knowing Scripture – one of the best books on how to study the Bible; something we read and discussed as pastors
• Peter Scazzero, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality – does a good job of showing the connection of emotional maturity and spiritual maturity
• A. W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God – a classic
• Greg Gilbert, Who Is Jesus? – A short, easy-to-read book; helpful for believers, seekers, and skeptics
• John Dunlop, Finding Grace in the Face of Dementia – very good book; I previously blogged on this here.
• Michael Horton, Rediscovering the Holy Spirit – God’s Perfecting Presence in Creation, Redemption, and Everyday Life – scholarly but readable look at the working of the Holy Spirit, particularly how He is actively involved daily in the lives of Christians
• Trevin Wax, Gospel-Centered Teaching – helpful reminder to teach in light of the Cross
• Michael Horton, Ordinary – sustainable faith in a radical, restless world – good book that helps us focus on “an important aspect of spiritual growth—the blessings of the commonplace. Providing a guide to sustainable discipleship . . . inviting us to gain strength and wisdom for the long haul as we embrace the everyday Christian life”.
• Robert Coleman, The Heart of the Gospel – a well-written and edifying “systematic theology of evangelism”
HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY (favorite subjects of mine!)
• Michael Branigan, A History of Chicago’s O’Hare Airport
• Ron Chernow, Alexander Hamilton
• Gordon Prange, Miracle at Midway (the battle in the Pacific theater of WWII)
• Brian Kilmeade & Don Yaeger, Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates – the forgotten war that changed American history
• Howard Blum, Dark Invasion – 1915: Germany’s secret war and the hunt for the first terrorist cell in America
• David McCullough, Mornings On Horseback (childhood and early adult years of Theodore Roosevelt)
• Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
PURE ESCAPIST FUN
Clive Cussler novels – The Kingdom, Odessa Sea, The Cutthroat, Lost Empire
• We have a number of commentaries on Ephesians (to go along with the current sermon series)
• There are two copies of The Vanishing American Adult by Ben Sasse (which Pastor Jay recently blogged about)
• We have another case of the New City Catechism books – please contact Pastor Doug or Bonnie Kerr if you would like a copy.
by Tim Bruns, Pastor of Adult and Care Ministries