THE GOSPEL IS SPREADING IN EUROPE: OUR TRIP TO BELGIUM AND BUDAPEST
Becky and I recently returned from a trip to Belgium and Hungary. The purpose of the trip was to visit a number of families in full time ministry who are serving in these countries.
Here are some take-aways:
1. Europe is clearly ahead of America in terms of secularization and spiritual decay.
2. The average size of a Bible-believing church in Europe is 30-60 people.
3. In Europe, graduate evangelical theological education is rare.
4. Both Belgium and Hungary have high suicide rates. Hopelessness abounds.
5. We have faithful missionaries on the ground in both Belgium and Hungary.
6. There are over 500 missionaries in Budapest alone (from numerous mission agencies).
7. New churches are being started! A number of new ones are in Budapest.
8. The gospel is alive and spreading in Europe (this was made clear from numerous conversations!).
9. Islam is moving into Belgium rapidly. Belgium is now 6% Muslim (very evident in Antwerp).
10. Teaching English continues to be a platform for sharing the gospel in Europe.
by Jay Childs, Senior Pastor