Introduction | Behold the Man: 40 Days of Focus
We are introducing a series of daily devotionals designed to lead us to a richer experience of the events of Good Friday and Easter. Behold the Man: 40 Days of Focus will encourage us to reflect more deeply on some of the characters and situations leading up to the time of Jesus’ sacrificial death and triumphant vindication.
Each day, there will be a short devotional, followed by some questions to consider before the Lord and a suggested prayer. Often, there will be scripture references, and we encourage you to take the time to look them up and read them in context, asking the Lord to give you more insight through the work of His Spirit.
For those of you who would like to take a more in-depth look at events and themes concerning Good Friday, here is a bibliography of books we used in preparing for the Behold the Man event:
- Killing Jesus, Mansfield
- The Murder of Jesus, MacArthur
- A Walk with Christ to the Cross, McAllister
- The Trials of Christ, Gilmore
- The Six Trials of Jesus, Lawrence
- Jesus on Trial, Boice and Ryken
- Killing Jesus, O’Reilly
- Seven Sayings of the Savior on the Cross, Pink
- The View from Mount Calvary, Phillips
- Several books from the Wiersbe Classic Sermon Series: On Judas Iscariot, On the Apostle Peter, and On the Cross of Christ.
- One Perfect Life, by MacArthur, is a compilation of scripture on the life of Christ, in chronological order. It is helpful in blending the various Gospel accounts of the events of Good Friday so that the timeline is more understandable. I highly recommend this book.
by Sheri Cook, Director of Special Ministries